Thursday, June 26, 2008

Background to Josh Crosby and ORG's Road to Kona


Welcome and thank you for joining Olson Research Group and me on our Ironman journey. I have dreamed of taking on this challenge since I was a senior in high school after one of my classmates had returned from finishing his first Ironman in Kona, Hawaii. He listed the distances and I was stunned that he rode 112 miles after the 2.3 mile swim. Then he hit me with the punch line! A 26.2 mile run, a marathon, was the last leg in this race. I believe this news caused me to shout something like... "No way dude, that's nuts!" It was inspiring to say the least as the longest I had raced at that point in my life was a seemingly lengthy 6 minutes in my rowing races and the farthest I had run was up and down the soccer field. Although floored by the distances, I knew that someday I would take on the challenge of Ironman. Almost half a life later, I am getting ready to attempt my first Ironman. Olson Research Group is teaming up to help me fulfill this dream, this journey into my physical and mental capacities. We are hoping that you will enjoy my installments, cheer from a far or be inspired to take your next step in accomplishing a goal of yours. We ask you to take advantage of some helpful articles, advice and links to information that will aid you in your journeys.

Olson Research Group hired me in 1997 as one of their first employees. After graduating from Brown University I moved to the U.S. National Rowing Training Center in pursuit of an Olympic spot. I needed to make some money to support my rowing, but didn't want to settle for just any job. I wanted to work where I could not only learn, but also feel supported in my Olympic pursuit. The ORG family instantly made me feel part of their amazing team. I was not just an employee, but someone who became part of the family. The culture that existed then, and clearly remains today, was one that holds the combination of quality, honesty, hard work, results and loyalty above all else. This environment attracted not only me but other rowers who soon found Olson to be all that I told them it was. Although, several years passed from my actual working days at Olson, my memories are fond. Once you are in the ORG family you don't want to leave. That became very apparent by the number of familiar faces I saw last year at the annual Christmas party 10 years after my first. It is an honor representing Olson Research Group, wearing their logo on my chest from the first stroke on this journey, each pedal of this process and on the final step across the finish line!

Josh Crosby's Athletic Background
I have rowed competitively since my grandfather and father threw me in a boat at 13 and sent me up the Charles River in my first race. Since my days at St. Paul's School, I have gone on to many athletic challenges. As the smallest rower on the U.S. Jr. National Rowing Team in 1992, I had to fight my way to a spot on the crew. We then went on to be Jr. World Champions winning the first gold for the U.S. in 20 years. I competed for Brown University crews '93 - '97 as a heavyweight (I was 155 pds. sopping wet) where we were undefeated and National Champs. I then rowed for the U.S. National Rowing Team as a member of the lightweight team and went to the World Championships '95, '97 and '98. I did a couple triathlons in 1996 to stay in shape when I failed to make the Olympic rowing team. My first triathlon put me in the hospital. I didn't eat or drink because I was too afraid of getting caught. My fear served me well, as I was handed my first place trophy in my hospital bed. This, however, is not a recommended tactic.

After hanging up my national team oars and moving to Los Angeles, I fell into a sport that was all about distance, Adventure Racing. I raced professionally for Team Revo, for 5 years all over the world. Adventure Racing is a 3-4 person team sport involving multi-disciplines (kayaking, mtn. biking, trail running, ropes, navigation etc.) and often lasts anywhere from 12hrs. to a grueling 7 days. I still enjoy rowing, as my fitness program Indo-Row, uses rowing machines to keep me in shape and allows me to spread the benefits of rowing to people of all shapes and ages. As you can see, I have certainly had athletic challenges in my life. However, Ironman is a whole other beast. You do not have teammates to lean on. It is not only long, but to qualify for the World Championships in Kona, you have to be FAST!

Why Ironman?
To me, Ironman is not about race day, but rather the journey to that epic day. It is an opportunity to truly grow as a human being. Along this trip I will face my demons, deal with doubt, pain, pressure, injuries, physical limitation and other unforeseeables. However, there will hopefully be progress, pleasure, gains, new barriers broken, relationships strengthened or created and challenges overcome. Qualifying for the Ironman World Championships is a way for me to strive for a seemingly unreachable goal. A goal that will require me to dig deeper than perhaps I can even contemplate. I have learned that you gain little from doing something you know you can do. I don't know exactly how I will handle this process. However, I do know that if I can overcome such challenges, then I will become a stronger human being - at home, at work and in this universe. The stronger I am, the more I can give to this world and its people.


Start the Dialogue and Race Your Race!
Please stay tuned and take a look at my training schedule to get an idea of how I am preparing. I have hired a coach, former pro triathlete Matt Dixon, who is putting me through the ringer! You will be able to see his plan for me and see what it will take to get in shape for this race.

We encourage you to comment on this blog and continue the conversation so I can help you with a fitness goal and perhaps send you on your way to the finish line of your first running race or triathlon. Please take advantage of this resource and feel free to email me at: Jcrosby@olsonresearchgroup.com


In good health...
Josh Crosby






No comments: